Monday, November 26, 2012

Following the Fad

I started writing this a few months ago. Time to finish it and pass it on to you:

Did you know I was in style?! Apparently, going gluten free is all the rage!
Why, you ask? The most common reason I have heard is that going gluten free helps you lose weight. Yeah, because you can't eat 80% or more of what you used to! Few out to eat places offer a gluten free menu and more times than not, you wait twice as long to get your food. By then your body has consumed half your stored supplies. No gluten means the majority of your processed foods are also out the door. No pastas, crackers, breads, cookies, baked goods, waffles, pancakes and check those spice packets, sauces and condiments, they may very well have gluten in the form of what, barley, caramel coloring, or malt. Surprise, even in candy! Anything with a cookie in it, like Twix. And then there are Twizzlers! They have wheat in them! Insane!

To be fair,  this weight losing claim does have some truth to it. Not only will your cruddy eating habits be revamped, but you will initially lose the gluten bloat that we all have. Tossing the processed foods will drive people towards hopefully healthier alternatives.

It is believed by many, that fad dieters have lowered the bar for the meticulousness in preparing uncontaminated food for those that really need it. They make those who request gluten free as more of a bother. When I am at a restaurant, I never try to portray myself as having Celiac, but I do state the facts that if any of the substances are included in my meal, I will become sick. This promotes the safety procedures but hopefully eliminates the slacking of precaution.

Although those fad dieters give a bad reputation to those with medical issues like gluten sensitivity or the far more serious, Celiac Disease; they have increased the awareness of food manufacturers and servers. There are so many more options out there, not only in the supermarket but restaurants have gotten on board as well. I love going shopping and seeing more items clearly marked GF. Makes it easier to choose products and see some alternatives. Servers and chefs are also more aware and most do their best to accommodate.

Why all the increase in gluten sensitivities all of a sudden? It is believed that since the 1950's wheat had undergone a scientific modification. Bred to withstand drought and harsh weather, the wheat we have now is not the wheat we had 60 some years ago. If wheat has been changed to withstand that, do you think it can withstand our digestive system? Possibly. I am not a scientist or a dietician, so I can't say, but it makes sense to me.

All in all, fad dieters have not only given me more options, better care and service , but a sense of belonging. Thank you, FDs. ;) Your contribution is appreciated. I do hope that many of you will find a benefit from eating healthy, whole foods and stick to it.


1 comment:

  1. I understand your fight to do it right.
    I hope that more and more options open up for you at the stores, the restaurants, and social activities.
    Keep on keeping on, you look great! You seem to be feeling much better and with the support of the 3 of you for each other, it is a bonding relationship which will make a difference for all of you.

    ReplyDelete