Tuesday, August 23, 2011

It's all about the fat

Before I finish this blog, it will be the start of my 21st day. 3 weeks! Wow. Let me revel in the sheer strength and endurance God has given me.

My psoriasis is to a point where I still can see it. Which is where I want, because it will help in the next step of my journey. Adding foods back into my diet. Carefully montering how my skin reacts to the new foods will tell me what to stay away from and what to stay clear of. Today I had eggs, again. But over the course of the week, I will have them off and on, and not only pay attention to my skin but to how my body reacts. Sluggishness, upset stomach, irritability, fatigue and a few others are all signs of an allergy or sensitivity. Some things you will not find my re-entering will be anything fried or overly processed. It has actually been cool to open my fridge and see all fruits and vegetables; about 95%. Of course there is some cheese, tortillas, PB, jelly and milk for the girls. The point is to stay true to the truest form of food and in the original form God provided it.

Since I have not blogged in a bit, I have to recall anything that may be of importance. I have to tell you, the pressure is great. I have so many wonderfully supportive people that say they are encouraged reading about my juicing. I am so blessed, however it transforms itself into this need to entertain and also relay anything that may be of interest. I would hate to bore you. ;)
Overall, everything is wonderful. I have energy, I have lost 18 lbs., I am looking forward to the new school year and I am excited to see myself and my family becoming healthier. Also, the last two days, my need for ibuprofen for my fibro has been less. Yeah!

Now, to the title of my post. It is all about the fat. Really? This could be taken a couple of ways so let's look at it one point at a time. First, my whole life I have struggled with my weight. It has been my experience that a doctor believes every problem you have in life is because of your weight. There are many things that can be attributed to it, but not all. And it is very frustrating to try to get answers about an issue and all they can do is look at your fluff! Hello! I am still here, I am a person and there is more to me than my weight. We could say these same things to every teenager, and every honest child around.

Second, all the 'good' food in America is all about the fat. Exhibit A: Yes, open your eyes to the wonderful world of the state fair! Everything is on a stick and deep fried! Ok, except the cheese curds, but they are so delicious we allow them to go to the party without the stick. Ahh, I know all of you who have been there can smell the fair right now and I am so not talking about the barns. I am talking pronto pups, Sweet Martha's chocolate chip cookies, hot sticky mini donuts, popcorn, gyros, turkey legs, and all the other tasty nips in the air. Let's not forget the geniuses behind making a fattening food even more artery clogging: fried candy bars, fried Twinkies, french fries slathered with chili and cheese. I think I am having chest pains. We should be thankful that the fair only comes ones a year.

Third, ever have toast without the butter? Coffee without the creamer? Cooked vegetables without butter or oil? Real bacon vs. Turkey Bacon? Or do you prefer the creamy white to the marinara sauces? Normally, the more fat in the dish, the more we want it, especially when we don't know what the fat or calorie count is! It is addicting and because it does not supply the beneficial nutrition our bodies need, it actually makes us want to eat more of it. Ever eat something that is totally not what you are craving? Or lacks in flavor, so you eat it faster, hoping that the taste will improve? That is your body trying to be satisfied with the non-nutritional foods we want to put in it.

Now, far be it from me to come off as these foods are terrible and should be avoided at all costs. In fact, I look forward to a day when I can indulge a little of all these things. What I want to say is the age old guiding light: Moderation. Your life doesn't have to be all about the fat.

Psalm 104:33
I will sing to the LORD all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live.

1 comment:

  1. One attitude that I think would be helpful is to try to change my attitude so that, instead of food being an experience or a reward, it should be regarded first as nourishment. I have a long way to go toward that goal, as I love going out to eat as an event, getting dessert for fun, or having Casie cook me my favorite meal. However, if I regarded food as nourishment first, all those experiences would be a lower priority. I'm not sure how to get there or if I want to enough.

    ReplyDelete