Saturday, August 20, 2011

At what cost?

I am on day 17. I have mellowed a bit since my last post. I am not sneering at my food but I did take a break from eating my salads. I am down another pound and each of the girls have also lost a pound. I am very proud of them.

Mike is doing better and I am proud of him and his own weight loss. Mike thinks I have gone a little off the deep end though.He still concedes to seemingly harmless foods but I look so critically at them now. I ask what is in it? What additives, preservatives, flavorings containing any chemicals or synthetics? Where did the meat come from? Were they treated with hormones or antibiotics? If you are going to get tortilla chips, they have to be baked, nothing fried in this house, please. So as he rolls his eyes, I ask, when is enough? How far do we go? At what cost?

When is enough?
Don't know. Our ultimate goals of health and a healthy weight is certainly going to take time. When all my psoriasis is going to go away, I don't know. just not a question that can really be answered.

How far do we go?
That I suppose is a matter of opinion. I am ok with going as far as I can go. Why put something, even one thing, that has a bunch of crud into your body when we are working so hard to clean it out? It is like the laundry, it would become never-ending.

At what cost?
Giving up the savory foods that we have come to love is one. Well, at the moment, since they are not staring me in the face, I can say are easy to do without. But I honestly don't want to give them all up for forever. But then that brings me back to how far do I go and when is enough?

Time! Takes a lot more time on my part to plan each day, wash, cut, juice, and then clean up. For the most part, I keep things ready to heat up for the girls and they are doing well. But it takes a good hour or two to get ready for a day out.

The most apparent cost: money. I knew that juicing was going to be expensive. I think that point finally hit home yesterday. Our grocery bill has probably doubled and we haven't finished the month yet. Yes, we don't go out to eat anymore and obviously not buying junk. But, that doesn't come close to the amount we have to spend now. Junk food is cheaper!

However, the cost if we don't, is our health. We would have less energy, more weight, more pains, more headaches, lower self- esteem, and so many more issues. I think Health wins. Unfortunately that doesn't make our bank account any bigger. So, we are relying on the Lord to help us find other cuts in our budget to try to continue as long as possible.

Ultimately, the benefits far out weigh the cost. Anything so great is worth the cost.
So, I go a little nuts. Hopefully it will last, but I feel in time, I may give in a little, but I certainly do not plan on a cave in.

Matthew 16:24-27

Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.



No comments:

Post a Comment