Friday, November 30, 2012

Favorite Pizza recipe

Thought I would share one of my favorite pizzas with you. When you can't have cheese, and sorry imitation rice stuff just doesn't cut it, pizza is a sad little thing. But with these toppings, flavors and crunchy crust, you don't miss it. That is right! You heard me! I don't miss the cheese!

Start with the base, Natures Highlight pizza crust. It is just brown rice and potato starch. I buy mine from Whole Foods or Valley View Co-op in Apple Valley. I take a crust out, spread about 1 tbs of olive oil on the top and put in the convection oven according to directions on the box for a crispier crust.

Then the sauce. You have to have a great sauce. I found a recipe for the ultimate pizza sauce on Food.com, messed with it a bit and this is about what I got:
 
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter, or Earth Balance
 1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon fennel seed (very important, can be ground too)

Directions:

1 In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
2 Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
3 Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
4 Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).

I added crushed red pepper for kick and more garlic, I love garlic. ;)
 
Then the topping! I washed portabella mushrooms 4-5 medium, sliced them and started to saute them in olive oil and about 1 Tbs of Italian seasoning in my small saute pan on med hi. Then I added about 10 turkey pepperoni slices, and one cut up turkey sausage link (Jones Dairy).Cooked them until the mushrooms were tender. 
Assembly: Sauce on the crisped crust, toppings on, back in the oven for about 5 minutes and devour. :)
 
So nummy! 
 
Now to save time, I multiplied the sauce recipe so that I can use that gigantic can of tomato sauce from Costco and then bagged it, froze it. Each bag has enough for two crusts. Perfect for a meal and a left over.

Try and let me know what you think. Have a fabulous weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment