Monday, December 3, 2012

Chicken, mushrooms and something or other

Well, now I've done it. Normally, I am very good at copying and pasting and then saving recipes I find online to a document folder. This time, somehow, I didn't and now I can't find it.

Well, since I don't do a whole lot of measuring when cooking, I guess it is alright. I will have to tell you from memory and hope I don't forget anything. :) If you are one that needs measurements, this is not one you may be able to follow. I can guess, all measurements below are approximately, but you can not hold me responsible for the end results.

It was on yahoo answers or something and it was a crock pot recipe for chicken with broccoli and mushrooms.  Well, I changed it up right from the beginning to suite food issues and what I had on hand. What I got was something a little ethnic, different from the norm and something both my kids liked! Including me AND my husband didn't give me the usual, "It's alright," answer; though he may be trying because he knows how much that bugs me when I try something new.

Anyhow, get your crock pot out and let's make dinner.

1 1/2 C of diced or sliced onion (I chop extras and freeze it; works great!)
4-6 large boneless chicken breasts, mine were frozen
5-6 medium potatoes, 1 1/2 inch chunks (or try using rice instead)

Spread onion on the bottom. Put potatoes in, little off to the sides and then layer the chicken on top.

Now I just poored and shaked stuff on top, but it would be best to probably get a bowl and mix the following together, then pour it on top. Again, amounts are estimates.

mushroom soup (I used Imagine Portabello mushroom soup (GF and DF). about 1/2 the box. )
shake over top - 1 TBS parsely
sprinkle - 1/2 tsp Turmeric
shake to see a light layer -  2 TBS onion powder
shake to see a light layer  - 2 TBS Garlic Powder
1/4 C rice milk
quick layer - 3 TBS minced onion
quick shake - 1/2 tsp celery salt
light layer - 1 TBS black pepper
This could use a little heat too, maybe a pinch of cayenne or a shake of crushed red pepper too
Would also like a cup of sliced mushrooms too, next time.

Cook at low for 6-8 hours or high for 4 1/2

Leftovers got a 1/2 cup of cooked quinoa added. It thickened the yummy juices and I cut it all up and it was a cool stew. ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment