Monday, October 3, 2011

It came and went

I planned on doing a big over view and update when day 60 came of my juicing journey. Well, it finally came,... 4 days ago. Ha, I didn't even notice.

It took me almost the whole 60 days to figure out portions and how much to buy. But I think I have it down now. Now, we have to remember, that I am not just buying for myself, there are three others doing it off and on. And two don't do the veggies that much and fruit gets expensive. Here is a run down of a regular haul that lasts 7-10 days
Costco:
case of Oranges
3 pineapples
2 strawberries
2 lbs of grapes
3 lbs of bananas
lg bin spinach
bag of broccoli
bag of baby cucumbers
lg bin of lettuce
10lbs of organic carrots (this lasts about a month)
5-7 lbs of apples

Rainbow:
3 green bell peppers
2-3 grapefruits
7 limes
2 sweet potatoes
2 bunches parsley
2 bunches kale
2-3 lemons
2-3 beets

There are few seasonal items here and there but this is the gist of it. When I make a juice I cram it with a little of everything. I want the most for the least. This is about $115. Then another 50-75 on top of that to get bread, eggs, milk and things for the kids and my organic gluten free stuff. That is about $700/month! Now, you can get cheaper things, not go organic or even do the fruit, or go for celery (I can't stand the stuff) and not so many leafy items but this is what I choose to do.
We are saving money on gas, now that school has started; out to eat is like nil, we have cut off the cable, reduced our bills as far as we can, and doing without a lot of "extra" things. We are managing and it is worth it....

Yesterday, I ate out twice out of necessity. Now I followed a GF style and ate mostly veggies but there were a few things that I normally don't eat thrown in (sour cream and very sugary salad dressing). Last night and today, I am paying for it. I am in a lot of pain. Many researchers are starting to believe that Fibromyalgia is caused by a build up of toxins in your body. Toxins that come from processed foods, pesticides and garbage of an American diet. I see the true proof of that. When I am juicing, I don't have as much pain. And when I do wake up in pain, I recover a lot faster; like 20 minutes verses 2 hours!

If I just juice, my psoriasis is a lot better. Although, it is confusing when I do fudge, that it is a crap shoot as to whether I have a flare up or not. It is not consistent at all. I do know that hormones play a part and there is nothing I can do about that. Overall though, if I wasn't juicing, I know that it would be getting continually worse.

The extra benefit is weight loss. Now, I had hoped to be much farther along in that area, but I know that I am building muscle too as I am tracking my measurements. So even if I lose only 3 lbs, I would lose 5-6 inches. I am great with that. The slower it is the better the body recovers and wants to keep it that way. I am just happy of the direction I am going. I love getting out and walking with the girls and I love doing my workout videos and trying new ones from the library. I am so happy that my girls are older and not only can I have that time to myself to do it, but that they are old enough and join me once in a while too.

All in all, my friends, juicing will be a way of life for me. I won't always be as strict but I do know that I can't stop. I enjoy it and miss it when I don't juice. My body craves the nutrition. Since it is the only body I get, I might as well take care of it.

God bless you all and keep you. May your days be filled with His love and care.

1 Cor. 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

No comments:

Post a Comment