Tuesday, December 20, 2011

No End, But New Beginnings

I have no direction for this blog entry, but I guess I will know where it will go, as I take each step in dumping all the words floating around. So please bear with my rambling.

It is almost Christmas and I am surprised at where I find myself this year. I have been researching and equipping myself with recipes and options of gluten free living for months now. I also get to include dairy and egg free options. AND now through baking a few options of Christmas goodies, I see sugar being an issue as well. Something I hadn't had all this time. It is so much fun. (hear my sarcasm?) I have a smoothie every morning and juice in the evening usually. I have cut off the sugar train and plan to juice fast after Christmas. Any cookies not eaten by others at Christmas, will be frozen and saved for those moments when Alana needs a little something in place of another gluten goodie.

I fear there will be no end to what I have to give up. As I have encounter my first person without compassion to the needs of myself and Alana, there is no end to what I get to put up with too. I don't want the world to bend over backwards, but I would like people to see the possibilities that help us to feel included along with everyone else. Especially for Alana. She is at that age where fitting in and acceptance is so important.

Anyway, my collection of recipes is extensive and yet it includes the same main ingredients of whole meats, spices, vegetables and fruits. There are some baked goods that will be used for church functions and birthdays of course. I have some recipes for bread, that I am eager to try but haven't found time to, so maybe this coming week as we take some time off from school.

Alana has been doing very well on her new diet. Did I mention that she has decided to do it long term? It has been about 2 months now. She hasn't been cheating and is mindful of what she can and can't have. A 'side-effect' of her new diet has her staying dry throughout the night for more than a month now, something Alana has struggled with her whole life. Alana enjoys the all natural gluten free macaroni cheese we found and the chicken sausages at Costco. We are able to make lots of old favorites like chili, chicken noodle soup, tacos and fajitas with some modifications. It has been great overall.

I have been doing alright. The pain has returned about 3/4 of before. Lack of sunlight? Not juicing as often? That last 2 weeks, too much sugar? I don't know. I just make do. I am 42 lbs down. Yeah! (Men turn away for the rest of this paragraph, please?) And not as surprising as Alana's blessing, because I knew that GF diet can change this, but my monthly cycle has corrected itself. I have dealt with extended heavy bleeding that would last 2-3 months at a time since I had Alana. For anyone that deals with issues, they need to try changing their diet. You will see results with 1-2 weeks.

I have been slowly making over everything in house to cater to this new life. I can't say Mike is thrilled, he eats mostly at work anyway. ;) Emily has been doing pretty well but she has always been my bread eater so she makes more noise over her gluten wants.We can basically have everything normal, but just in a different form or a different product that is better.

We will have a challenge coming up with my mother-in-law coming home for Christmas. She will get an eye opening education when she gets here.

So, there is no end, but there are new beginnings as I venture to find what makes my body work and what holds it back. As I learn these, I find new evidence and proof that what I am doing is better for myself. Did you know that even if you are gluten sensitive it is still a form of Celiac and that by not treating it, you could have a higher risk of certain cancers? You could struggle with infertility? Skin diseases and acne are signs of what is going on on the inside; you need to clean it out if you want the outside to be in good shape.
Sorry, I went off and will get off my soap box now. (but really, you need to try it) Have a blessed Christmas everyone and remember the reason why a child was born in a stable so many years ago.

Luke 2:1-20

The Birth of Jesus
1 In those days Caesar Augustus issued a decree that a census should be taken of the entire Roman world. 2 (This was the first census that took place while[a] Quirinius was governor of Syria.) 3 And everyone went to their own town to register.

4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.

8 And there were shepherds living out in the fields nearby, keeping watch over their flocks at night. 9 An angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. 10 But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid. I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people. 11 Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you; he is the Messiah, the Lord. 12 This will be a sign to you: You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

13 Suddenly a great company of the heavenly host appeared with the angel, praising God and saying,

14 “Glory to God in the highest heaven,
and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”

15 When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, “Let’s go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.”

16 So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. 17 When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, 18 and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. 19 But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart. 20 The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things they had heard and seen, which were just as they had been told.

No comments:

Post a Comment