Sunday, January 27, 2013

Wayward Ways

Hello people,.... I have been avoiding you. There I said it. Blunt but true. I didn't want to tell anyone that I have been enjoying more than the occasional bite of all the goodies that life offers. One big splurge on a couple pieces of delivered pizza, an apple fritter or so, cinnabon, delicious chocolate, and even a little ice cream. Now to justify myself, this was not in one day or even in a week, but still so frequent that it is a complete disregard to my health and my family's.

So what is my problem? Well, to see myself  so knowledgeable and understanding the circumstances of my choices, I am ashamed and have no real substantial excuse. Food is a necessity of life and certainly one that was given for enjoyment, otherwise it would all taste the same or bad. Being told or knowing that your can't eat like everyone else around you is torture. I keep being reminded why I need to be different from the rest and I need to find courage and strength in Christ, because I know I am not strong enough to continue.

You want to know my story from the beginning, you will have to go to the beginning of my blog. It was August of 2010. Go ahead, I will wait for you to catch  up.

Done? Okie dokie. So here is where we lie at the moment. I rarely have a full day where I don't eat something I am not suppose to have. Be it dairy, sugar, gluten or egg. They are all pretty much ingredients in things I am eating. Gluten free bread, chocolate, and the tasty sinful things I listed above. Where has it gotten me? Bathroom issues, for one and lady issues for a second (not going into all that, because, well we don't need to, do we?). Then, a resurgence of my psoriasis which is intolerable on my scalp, flared up on my front and back, ears, and beginning again in a few other areas. Nasal congestion that causes headaches and eye pain. Headaches have returned. Dried out skin, with painful cracks near my finger tips. Brittle nails. Mood swings, oh my, look out! Fibromyalgia pain and fibro fog have been causing issues. Sluggishness, fatigue, not sleeping well, and no interest in exercise. Back aches; shoulder pain. Dark circles under the eyes, blemishes, and just not healthy looking skin. To top them all off is the almighty scale. I have gained almost 10 pounds back. (insert sad face here)

The picture here is a complete break down. The food I am putting into my body is killing me. Literally, I will link to a couple good articles at the bottom. (Now, God is in control, but we will humor the scientists on this, because it makes a point.) That is right, they say I will die a lot sooner if I keep on keeping on. The food that is giving me issues is not the same food God created so long ago. Scientists have cross bred them and changed them to make them heartier. For instance, wheat underwent such changes in the 50's ,and now contains 50% more gluten per plant which allows it to withstand drought and weather issues. Well, our bodies see it as a foreign object. Increasing the alert and using up what strength our immune systems have. That is why they are saying that gluten sensitivity is all of a sudden so problematic and in the spotlight. Granted, some is just hype and a fad diet to some, but really it is an issue for so many of us. There are so many more that have a problem and don't know it.

The first article below will link to one that gives symptoms of a possible problem with gluten. It could be gluten, it could be something else. You won't know unless you try the elimination diet. It really is the best way to figure it out. Go off gluten for 2-3 weeks, measure all the things that are affecting you now, during the detox and then when you reintroduce it. Then there are couple other articles that I just found reiterating stuff I have seen before. I am not positive on the coffee one, but I do know that is messes with your metabolism, so I stay away from coffee altogether.

Now that I am aware of it and am convinced I need to rethink matters again, where am I going from here? Back to the unprocessed, natural, whole foods God gave us. I plan to juice at least part of the time, or when finances allow. I am going to have to be stricter with myself and my kids. Mike, by the way has flat out said to me today that he enjoys his gluten too much to change. Pity, because I know he has issues! (love you, honey) I want to encourage others to find out what is ailing them. We live with certain things for so long, we forget that some things we don't have to. Like gas, fatigue, constipation, diarrhea, nasal congestion, pain, and more. I am going to track again the symptoms I have and, Lord willing, watch them go away again as I detox and fuel my bodies with the foods I know are good, clean, and nourishing.

I will still do recipes when I am inspired to do so. There are so many good blogs out there to follow now, it makes things easier. I might share some of those too.

Until then, keep me in your prayers and I will pray for you too. God bless you, your families, your health and your choices.

Jess

10 Signs you may be gluten intolerant:
http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-7482/10-signs-youre-gluten-intolerant.html

Clues to Gluten Sensitivity, Wall Street Journal
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704893604576200393522456636.html

 What you don't know, might kill you - Huffington Post
 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/gluten-what-you-dont-know_b_379089.html




Far Reaching Effects

http://www.mypassion4health.com/articles/gluten_sensitivity.html

Coffee Too?
http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/gluten-issues-or-celiac-dont-drink-coffee/




No comments:

Post a Comment